Thursday, June 19, 2008

Flying to Japan

My flight from New York to Tokyo was 13 hours and 40 minutes, but it was surprisingly uneventful and the time passed much quicker than I expected. And apparently I don't even have to feel guilty about my carbon footprint. Unfortunately I was not able to sleep on the plane, but I was able to read three books. I love e-books.

Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior
Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior by Ori Brafman and Rom Brafman

This was a very enjoyable book. Although there wasn't much new content for me; most of the research discussed had already been covered by various economics blogs that I read. Still, I'm a sucker for pop-econ books.

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow

I really enjoyed the brief historical accounts of the lives of famous mathematicians and statisticians. The essence of their lives was distilled into a few choice adjectives and a couple of formative events. Sometimes I wonder what adjectives and events will describe my life.

Starship Troopers
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein

I'm currently trying to read all the novels that have won a Hugo or Nebula award. This one won the 1960 Hugo Award. I'm reluctant to say it, but I thought that movie was more entertaining. Detailed descriptions of military chains of command just can't compete with co-ed showering.

No comments: