Saturday, July 26, 2008

Adventures on the Keiyo Line

Last weekend I visited two exciting places: Tokyo Disneyland and Star Wars Celebration Japan.

From Japan - Tokyo...

My favorite ride at Tokyo Disneyland was Star Tours. It's a classic, but everything was new and exciting because it was in Japanese. And there was no line. My only complaint was the lack of a giant AT-AT and the lack of a giant Star Wars-themed gift shop.

I didn't go on many rides because of the crowds, but I did managed to ride two classics: It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean. While riding It's a Small World I thought, "They really need to upgrade this ride. Make it more modern and relevant." While riding Pirates I thought, "They added Jack Sparrow!? They're destroying my childhood!"

From Japan - Star ...

Star Wars Celebration Japan was full of interesting characters. While I was there I met one of my coworkers, one of my fellow JSPS fellows, and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca). I also got to see Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) speak. It was a very entertaining interview. He's very quick and sarcastic, and he liked teasing the translator. Although I can understand why celebrities don't attend more conventions. During the question and answer session, Mark Hamill was asked to comment on Japanese fans, bless a high school student preparing for college entrance exams, and describe his most forgettable convention moment. He handled all these questions very well, but even a Jedi has to run out of patience sooner or later.

No comments: